The first book club of the year was in March, and I did not attend. The book selected was Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, which I had read in March of 2008.
Book: Just Kids by Patti Smith (my suggestion)
Page Count: 279
Read: May 24 to June 04, 2011
Discussion Date: 6/5/11
Book: Bad Mother: Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace by Ayelet Waldman
Page Count: 224
Read: July 12 to 31, 2011
Discussion Date: 7/31/11
Book: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Page Count: 451
Read: September 14 to 21, 2011
Discussion Date: 10/16/11
Book: Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (I had seen the movie before reading it was a book club selection)
Page Count: 288
Read: November 14 to December 08, 2011
Discussion Date: 12/11/11
I gave them all 4 stars out of 5. Good picks!
My problem with book club is not with the book club establishment or with my club in particular -- it is completely of my own making. I don't give myself enough time to read the whole book. Then I go to book club and discuss the tome*, which gives me a false sense of closure and seriously reduces my motivation to finish it. The unfinished books are piling up and mingling with the unstarted books, and any day now my literary world will tumble into chaos. Well really I would simply prefer the sense of accomplishment in finishing the books.
*unlike college, I don't have to pretend I finished the book
Posted via LiveJournal.app.
As for beer I've been drinking Fat Tire and Sierra Nevada.
( Collapse )
This probably goes without saying, but I personally don't have books on the shelf for appearance.
( Collapse )
• I got an iphone 3G today.
• Last week I got an LCD HD TV to make more room in my place, some shelves to replace the wire cubes I was using and a new rug since Chase was chewing up the old one. It is nice to have the place refreshed.
Not So Good stuff:
• Yesterday I broke my no-eating-at-McDonald's rule. It's been 4 years.
• Vladimir will be living in Russia for another 14 months or so.
• A cardboard display I designed the art for is now up at all Michaels stores (for about two more weeks).
• An ad I designed appeared in the New Yorker magazine a few weeks ago:
• There are some funny videos on YouTube featuring stunts from The Encyclopedia of Immaturity (which is a book I recommend checking out): http://www.youtube.com/user/ProfessorOfYouth